Manufacturing Industry Career Advancement Success Stories
Guillermo’s Success Story
How We Effected Powerful Change in His Life & Career
Guillermo felt stuck in his food manufacturing job as a General Worker making minimum wage. He could never afford college, and he was worried that his high school diploma wouldn’t be enough for him to ever advance his career. Through coaching and hands on work with Training Gems, Guillermo learned how to work with fellow employees to solve problems that increased productivity. Within 3 months, Guillermo was promoted to Team Lead. But the career advancement did not stop there. Guillermo continued to work with Julio (the instructor at Training Gems) to improve his leadership skills even further. As his training continued, he advanced to Senior Lead, and then Coordinator. Not only did his income increase substantially, but his newfound skills have helped him in many aspects of his life, not just his career.
Proven Partners Manufacturing Case Study
New Incident Rate
The plant manager for Proven Partners Manufacturing is directly responsible for a 140,000 square foot Level-3 facility. Responsibilities include overseeing production, materials management, maintenance, sanitation, and scheduling.
After completing Leadership Coaching offered at Training Gems, the plant manager used the skills he acquired to make overall improvements to the manufacturing process. He accomplished this by implementing methodologies through performance boards and other lean CI tools that resulted in reduced overtime while improving performance. He also created a formalized training plan for all SQF Level-3 operating procedures.
- Improved FHFP by 50%
- Started and implemented safety committee that has identified opportunities to improve incident rate from 1.85% to less than .5%
- Improved material yield on key items through better measuring tools
- Started a formal training program for all SQF procedures
- Incorporated downtime reports that have identified areas of opportunity through Pareto charts
- Reduced customer complaints through the institution of formalized Kaizen events
- Started development of centerlines to improve overall results
- Developed specific goals and objectives to improve bottom line results
Ryt-Way Industries Case Study
Improvement in Performance
Ryt-Way Industries, LLC is a high-speed contract packaging sector with over $30 million in sales. The Operations Manager was hired to implement and improve processes and procedures that address inconsistent performance.
The Operations Manager worked with Julio from Training Gems to develop the skills necessary to achieve this goal. He developed and implemented formalized training programs that improved start-up and change-over times, across all lines and shifts. This resulted in improved gross profit margin across multiple product lines.
- Improved overall line performance by 3.5% with an approximate labor savings of $10,000/mo
- Improved material yield from 85% to approximately 91%, saving the customer and Cloud over $2,500/mo
- Implemented standard operating reports and procedures that reduced downtime by 5%, and reduced set-up time by 10%
- Initiated a training program for SQF certification
- Set up a matrix that reduced wet wash change overs from 3/wk to 1/wk, saving the company $1600/wk
- Negotiated new vendor contract for uniforms that saved the company $26,000 annually
Peacock Engineering Case Study
Improvement in Performance
Senior Operations Manager
Peacock Engineering Company is a USDA inspected facility that eventually expanded to include a new 340,000 square foot facility that resulted in $250 million in annual sales. The Senior Operations Manager was hired to oversee all aspects of not only daily operations, but the expansion as well.
After completing Leadership Coaching offered by Training Gems, the Senior Operations Manager was able to utilize new skills and techniques to make improvements at both locations. He managed the development of Standard Operating Procedures, training programs, and cost structure across both facilities. He evaluated capital projects such as automation of packaging lines, equipment improvements and customer driven projects. Finally, he expanded the knowledge base and diversified the product mix with new and current customers.
- Developed flexible work teams that increased sales by $4 million annually by reducing overtime charges and improving profit margins
- Developed and executed aggressive cost saving initiatives with a savings of $2 million to the customer and $1 million to PEC
- Re-designed packaging cartons that increased sales by $500,000 and improved efficiency by over 40%
- Led the certification of GFSI practices through SQF Level-3
I worked with Julio (Instructor at Training Gems) over the last two years, and through his teaching and coaching I have been able to increase my income. I do not have a high school education, but his basic teachings have helped me progress in our organization, and I currently travel across the country helping others in my company’s network.
Are You Ready To Take the Next Step?
Learn how Training Gems’ leadership coaching services can help you become our next food industry career advancement success story. Discover strengths you didn’t know you had and gain the tools necessary to break through any obstacle in front of you.